Architecture is a discipline that tries to project, design, build and develop modify the human habitat. We are, however, accustomed to identifying this matter only with the building, the urbanism...etc. The Mould studyArchitects, led by Carlos Abadía Suanzes-Carpegna, Ignacio Bautista Ruizand Pablo García Mora, is the proof that architecture goes beyond and is alaboratory for new pioneering initiatives in the design and production of Services and products using new raw materials.
With this objective Moho founds Cartonlab. Based on cardboard as raw material Cartonlab tries to develop consumption tools from this material.
- What are those properties that make cardboard such a valuable raw material?
The value of cardboard lies in its versatility, functionality, economy and great availability. This is a light, weight and tough material that can have the strength of the wood and the lightness of paper. The different types of cardboard available on the market allow you to design everything from every day objects such as chairs or tables to large projects.for events produced 100% in cardboard. We like to push your possibilities to the limit with designs such as a kayak or the 6-meter giant shark that hangs from thethe roof of our Spanish headquarters. It never ceases to surprise us.
- Is Cartonlab a project of circular economy, of sustainable development or is itmore thought of as a laboratory for designing furniture from a non-toxic material.without this necessarily implying a social commitment?
Sustainability is always present in Cartonlab projects. Today we continue to strive for our designs to have a reduced impact on the environment. We are very happy to see more and more companies appear every day concerned about the social and sustainable economy.
- The company seems more oriented to provide product development services for. Does Cartonlab have its own product line or does it develop its own products?Can you explain to us what kind of clients you are interested in?Are your services targeted?
We offer both custom design services and direct online sales of our products.We design for all types of clients, from large organizations that organize events and congresses up to SMEs and individuals who need furniture design services,decoration, etc.We also took an active part in conferences on design, entrepreneurship and circular economy in schools and other institutions.
- It may seem to users that cardboard is not a very good raw material.What would you tell your potential customers about this? What kind of products can be made with cardboard?What kind of products can be made with cardboard? What is its durability?
This is the question we have been asked the most over the years. The structure of the design is the one that enhances the strength of this great material. In addition to bearing heavy weights, with the right treatment can also be fire and water resistant. Durability depends a lot on how the products are used and treated. Under normal conditions ofuse you can enjoy the cardboard products for many months or several years depending on the design.
- Cartonlab is also present with its own delegation in the United States.How is the hosting of a project based on a material with a marked sustainable character in a country characterized by excessive consumption?
This is a very powerful and dynamic market, where there are a large number of customers and a large number of companies committed to sustainability and in constant search for novelties.Specifically in the sector of fairs and events, we have been able to check ourdesigns offer an important competitive advantage in production, logistics and assembly.
- Do you think that cardboard could become a cheap and sustainable source of energy?raw material for developing countries? Can carton replace other materials?materials as a source of development of consumer products, furniture ...etc.?
Cardboard, like other materials, has its limitations and strengths. For emergency situations has already been used for decades by architects, engineers andsuch as Shigeru Ban to provide immediate, practical and affordable solutions for the meet the basic housing and privacy needs of the population. Sustainabilityis ensured by being made from recycled material and being easily recycled afterits use.Cartonlab is the proof that there are materials as simple as the cardboard that we use, can offer a multitude of development possibilities and in addition allies with the sustainability.
In Ekohunters we know very well what we are saying because in ourIn our own offices we enjoy their products and we give faith in their quality.Simple, sustainable and very functional makes the product Cartonab.